In this post we'll cover:
Drill Bit ExplainedA power drill is used to make holes in material or surface. The thin bit attached to the power drill is a drill bit. You will see them be used in DIY projects or machining and building jobs. Each drill bit is made for a specific use. So, you must have a basic knowledge of drill bits. Then you can easily decide whether you should choose black oxide or titanium drill bit.
Black Oxide Drill BitThe black oxide drill bit has higher-ranking speed and flexibility and is generally used for everyday applications. In addition, black oxide offers a triple tempered finish coating that helps to absorb heat accumulation when drilling. This feature helps to extend the life of the drill bit.
- A black oxide bit is more affordable than a titanium drill bit. So, it is a better choice for a low budget.
- Black oxide has good heat resistance.
- Better than titanium drill bit in case of deterioration, rust, and water resistance.
- 135-degree split point helps to maintain stability and start fast.
- 118-degree standard point is available in drill bits which is smaller than 1/8”.
- HSS Drill with added finish assists to minimize the friction and drill fast.
- The black oxide drill bit can drill wood, PVC (polymerizing vinyl chloride) materials, plastic, drywall, composition board, carbon steel, alloy sheets, etc.
Titanium Drill BitThe titanium drill bit is prevalent for its consistency in repeated drill applications. In addition, it is reported to be the last 6X longer than a standard HSS drill bit.
- Titanium drill also comes with a 135-degree split point, which allows a quick start and minimizes skating around the surface.
- Better than black oxide for heat resistance.
- Titanium bit is coated with any of the three coatings- Titanium Nitride (TiN), Titanium Carbonitride (TiCN, or Titanium Aluminum Nitride (TiAlN).
- The unique finish of titanium coating lowers the friction and makes it corrosion-resistant.
- Titanium bit drills firmly with the same speed as black oxide drill.
- The titanium bit lasts longer than the black oxide drill bit.
Key Differences of Black Oxide vs Titanium Drill Bits
- The black oxide drill bit is generally used for drilling metals, whereas titanium drill bit is famous for metal and other materials.
- Black oxide drills have comparatively low heat resistance than titanium drills.
- Black oxide bits are made with a temperature of 90 degrees Fahrenheit when titanium bits are, in fact, titanium coating in High-Speed Steel (HSS).
ConclusionA drilling tool is undoubtedly a handy tool among DIY enthusiasts. But, still, it is an essential tool for manufacturing and building construction. Problems arise when people get confused to choose from a variety of drill bit collections. And it is not uncommon many of them cannot decide what to buy in between black oxide and titanium drill bit. Both black oxide and titanium drill bit are basically made with the same material. So, if you are among them, let me tell you, they are just coating that covers the HSS bit. Therefore, they are likely to provide almost the same results and productivity. No worries, you’ll do good.
I'm Joost Nusselder, the founder of Tools Doctor, content marketer, and dad. I love trying out new equipment, and together with my team I've been creating in-depth blog articles since 2016 to help loyal readers with tools & crafting tips.