What’s a hardware store?
Hardware stores are the ultimate destination for all your home improvement needs. They offer a wide range of products, including tools, building materials, plumbing supplies, electrical equipment, and even computer software.
It’s a convenient one-stop-shop for all your DIY projects. In this article, we’ll guide you on what to look for when you visit a hardware store.
In this post we'll cover:
What the Heck is a Hardware Store?
A hardware store is a business that sells a wide variety of equipment, tools, supplies, and sundries for construction, building, maintenance, and improvement of homes and households. It’s a one-stop-shop for all your DIY needs, whether you’re fixing a leaky faucet or building a treehouse for your kids.
Products Sold in a Hardware Store
Hardware stores sell a vast array of products, including:
- Hand tools such as hammers, screwdrivers, and wrenches
- Power tools like drills, saws, and sanders
- Building materials such as lumber, concrete, and drywall
- Plumbing supplies like pipes, valves, and fittings
- Electrical equipment such as wires, switches, and outlets
- Locks, keys, and hinges for security and safety
- Computer software, programs, and firmware for home automation and security
- Electronic devices and gadgets for entertainment and convenience
- Licensed equipment and materials for professionals and contractors
- Household items like cleaning supplies, light bulbs, and batteries
DIY Culture and Hardware Stores
In recent years, the rise of DIY culture has led to an increase in the popularity of hardware stores. People are taking on more home improvement projects themselves, and hardware stores are providing the supplies and expertise they need to do so. Many hardware stores offer classes and workshops to teach customers how to use tools and complete projects.
Regardless of the type of hardware store, there are certain characteristics that are common to all hardware stores. These include:
- Convenience: Hardware stores are designed to provide a convenient one-stop-shop for all your hardware needs.
- Wide Range of Products: Hardware stores carry a wide range of products, including tools, equipment, and hardware products for home and business use.
- Essential Products: Hardware stores carry products that are essential for home maintenance, construction, and repair.
- Limited Product Lines: While hardware stores carry a wide range of products, their product lines are limited to hardware-related products.
- Heavy and Hard Materials: Hardware stores carry heavy and hard materials that are required for construction and building projects.
- Associated with Custom: Hardware stores are often associated with custom or specialized hardware products.
- Include Services: Many hardware stores include services such as tool rental, key cutting, and other services related to hardware products.
What You Can Expect to Find at a Hardware Store
Hardware stores are known for their wide selection of products that cater to home improvement needs. From building materials to hand tools, plumbing supplies to electrical supplies, and cleaning products to housewares, hardware stores offer a vast supply of items that are available for purchase. These stores are helpful to customers who are working on DIY projects or remodeling their homes.
Hardware Stores: The One-Stop Shop for Home Maintenance
Hardware stores are the go-to place for anyone who needs to fill their supply of tools and materials for home maintenance. They offer a large selection of high-quality products that are adequate for any job, big or small. Whether you need lumber for a deck or boards for a renovation project, a hardware store is the place to go.
Expert Employees to Help You
Hardware stores have expert employees who are directed towards working with customers to find what they need. They are knowledgeable about the products available and can offer helpful advice to customers who are unsure about what they need. These employees can also provide tips on how to use the products and offer suggestions for alternative solutions.
Hardware Stores vs. Lumberyards
While lumberyards focus on lumber and building materials, hardware stores offer a wider range of products that cater to household needs. Hardware stores are more geared towards the DIY model, while lumberyards are directed towards commercial trades. However, some hardware stores have expanded to include lumberyards, retaining the model that fits in with their untapped market.
So, that’s what a hardware store is. A place to get all the tools and materials you need to build, repair, and improve your home.
You can also get advice from the experts, and with so many options, there’s bound to be one near you. So, don’t be afraid to take on that DIY project now!
I'm Joost Nusselder, the founder of Tools Doctor, content marketer, and dad. I love trying out new equipment, and together with my team I've been creating in-depth blog articles since 2016 to help loyal readers with tools & crafting tips.