In this post we'll cover:
Step-By-Step Process of Using A Chain HoistYou already know, chain hoists use chains to lift heavy objects. This tool can be either electric or mechanical. In both cases, the chain is permanently attached to the lifting system and works like a loop. Pulling the chain lifts the objects very simply. Let’s have a look at the step-by-step process of how to use this tool.
- Attaching The Connection Hook
- Connecting The Hoist Hook
- Placing The Load
- Packing and Wrapping The Load
- Pulling The Chain
- Lowering The Load
What Is A Chain Hoist?Moving heavy loads from here to there requires lots of strength. For this reason, sometimes, you may not be able to carry a heavy thing on your own. At this point, you will think about getting a permanent solution to that problem. And, you will be glad to know, a chain hoist can help you move your weighty things quickly. But, how does a chain hoist work?
Parts of A Chain Hoist & Their JobsYou already know that a chain hoist is a tool for lifting heavy materials using a chain. As this tool is used for lifting higher tons of weights, it must be made of a durable component. In like manner, the chain hoist is made of high-grade and durable steel, which ensures its high level of safety and reliability. However, the whole setup of the tool works using three parts: the chain, the lifting mechanism, and the hook.
- Lifting Mechanism
How A Whole Chain Hoist Setup WorksWe have already mentioned the parts of the chain hoist and their working process. Let’s see how the whole setup works like a lifting machine.
How To Install A Chain Hoist In Your GarageChain hoists or chain blocks are commonly used in garages to remove the car engines easily. They are popular in garages due to their simplicity of being operated by a single person. Chain hoists help to complete such tasks which cannot be completed without the help of two or more persons. However, installing a chain hoist in your garage is not a complicated task. And, this installation can be done simply using the following steps:
- Firstly, have a detailed check on the user manual and the components of the chain hoist. As you need a supporting system first, look for a position on the ceiling where you can set the connection hook.
- After setting up the connection hook, attach the hoist hook to the connection hook and throw the chain on the lifting zone over the lifting system to divide the chain into two parts.
- Before threading the chain through the sling, remove the shackle bolt and thread back it after that. Then, rotating the chain will give space to the eye loops for resting.
- Look for the safety catch on the top of the chain block and open it. Then, you need to slide the hoist into the chain and suspend the chain hoist by releasing the safety catch. However, don’t keep the safety hatch open to avoid slipping of the load.
- In the end, you can test the chain hoist if it is working perfectly or not. Use low weight for checking for the first time and search for any malfunctioning. Besides, you can also lubricate the chain for a smooth experience.
ConclusionIn the end, chain hoists are excellent tools for lifting heavy loads when used correctly. And we have covered all relevant information about this. Follow the above steps for installing and using a chain hoist, and you can save money and time.
I'm Joost Nusselder, the founder of Tools Doctor, content marketer, and dad. I love trying out new equipment, and together with my team I've been creating in-depth blog articles since 2016 to help loyal readers with tools & crafting tips.