For anyone who is looking to get carpets put in their home or workplace, the variety of options can make doing so confusing.
Since carpets are major collectors of dust, debris, dirt, dander, and pollen, they are rather hard to keep in good shape too.
Factor in the fact they need such regular maintenance, it’s no wonder many people are put off by the idea of using a carpet.
The main problem, of course, is the allergic reactions caused by allergen accumulation in carpets. But, we are going to share the top hypoallergenic carpet cleaning products so you can keep your carpeted areas clean.
|Hypoallergenic Carpet Cleaners||Images|
|Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Powder: PL360 Odor Neutralizing|
|Best Fragrance-Free Carpet Deodorizer: NonScents Pet and Dog Odor Eliminator|
|Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Shampoo: Biokleen Natural Carpet Cleaner|
|Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Freshener: Oxyfresh All Purpose Deodorizer|
|Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Spot Cleaner: Rejuvenate Stain Remover|
In this post we'll cover:
- Carpets and Allergies
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
- Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Cleaning Products Reviewed
- Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Powder: PL360 Odor Neutralizing
- Best Fragrance-Free Carpet Deodorizer: NonScents Pet and Dog Odor Eliminator
- Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Shampoo: Biokleen Natural Carpet Cleaner
- Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Freshener: Oxyfresh All Purpose Deodorizer
- Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Spot Cleaner: Rejuvenate Stain Remover
- Best Ways to Clean Your Carpet Without Chemicals
- What should I look for in an eco-friendly carpet cleaner?
Carpets and Allergies
Carpets, given how they are made, are known for trapping a lot of objects within the fibers. This is good for making sure the place remains nice and soft, but it does mean investing in regular maintenance and care for it. It also means that your carpet is likely to lock in a lot of the allergens, dander, and pollen. A build-up of allergens causes allergic reactions.
As well, with sensitivities struggle to clean the carpet with good quality hypoallergenic products. Have you ever looked at the top ingredients in cleaning products? They are full of harsh chemicals that make allergies even worse.
Is my carpet causing allergies?
Did you know that a regular carpet is bad for allergies? Carpets trap common allergens that trigger asthma and other respiratory illnesses. If you sleep in a room with carpets you’re exposed to allergens throughout the night, which makes allergy symptoms worse.
The fact that many new carpets are made using Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs) sets off reactions, too. “Even if a carpet is constructed of non-allergenic fibers, the carpet, carpet backing, and adhesives may contain chemicals that give off respiratory irritants known as volatile organic compounds.”
For that reason, it’s important to check the materials your carpet is made from.
But, are you worried about the allergens getting into your hypoallergenic carpets? Do you want to remove the allergens from your carpet? This means that if you are looking for a solution, you should put down the hoover: a simple hoovering can actually exasperate rather than alleviate said issues.
This is why having a hypoallergenic carpet can be such a useful solution. Instead of having to settle for wood or tile flooring, you can turn to hypoallergenic carpets and get the best of both worlds.
While not eradicated fully, there is a stark difference between regular and hypoallergenic carpets in terms of allergenic collection. If you want to do something about that, then you should look to pick up this particular kind of solution.
What type of carpet is hypoallergenic?
The best carpets are those made from natural fibers. But certain man-made fibers like nylon, olefin, and polypropylene are also hypoallergenic. These are naturally mold and mildew-resistant therefore you don’t get allergic reactions when exposed to them. In terms of natural fibers, wool is hands-down the best natural hypoallergenic carpet material. As long as you’re not allergic to wool (a small number of people are), you can keep wool carpets and rugs without triggering allergies.
Therefore, the wool carpet is the best for allergy sufferers. It’s also a good choice for those suffering from eczema and asthma. Wool has natural hypoallergenic fibers that absorb airborne contaminants. Therefore the carpet fiber absorbs things like cooking fumes, cleaning chemical residue, smoke, and even deodorants. Thus, you’re less likely to experience allergy symptoms and you have better air quality in your home.
The Benefits of Hypoallergenic Carpets
- Made from materials such as Olefin, Polypropylene, and Nylon, these carpets are usually much more resistant to such build-up. Used correctly, they can vastly reduce the amount of irritation that one has to go through on any given day.
- By vastly reducing the sheer strength of such allergens and by making sure that your carpet is made using oil, chemical, and petroleum-free solutions such as seagrass, hemp, wool, and/or sisal, you get a carpet that does exactly what you would expect.
- It adds warmth and comfort to your home without introducing all of the nonsense that you are dealing with presently.
While they cannot remove ALL allergens, they do a fine job of removing as many of them as they possibly can. This stops attacks and reactions, so you are left with only minor irritation.
If you are looking for a good solution to help keep the quality of your life high, though, you should get a vacuum that comes with a HEPA filter included.
Vacuum on a daily basis and get rid of as much as you can. The more help you can give that hypoallergenic carpet, the more likely it is to repay you with improved quality of life and reduced irritation.
Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
When it comes to using any kind of vacuum cleaner or cleaning product, how it affects our environment is very important. Naturally, cleaning up and taking care of cleanliness in the air is very important. It requires a lot of effort and planning to make it so. That does, though, make it easy for us to send allergens and other irritations into the atmosphere of the room as we work. To get around that problem, the Asthma and Allergy Friendly Certification Program was started.
Every year, Americans spend billions – roughly $10 billion – on consumer products that are aimed at reducing asthmatic and allergic issues at home. From buying specific flooring and carpets to specific linen and bedding, it’s vital that we take precautions to try and reduce such problems. These products tend to work to stop the spread and pollution of allergens into the air. They also stop people with asthmatic conditions and similar issues from suffering in the way that they would without such hardware available.
However, the continuous lack of regulation means that people need to keep turning to these anti-allergen platforms in a bid to try and combat the problem. This is where the Asthma and Allergy Friendly Certification Program comes in. If governance won’t change the issue, then they will.
Making America’s Asthmatics Safe Again
Formed in 2006, this group fights to help make sure that people can get access to all the help that they need. It was formed by a team of top medical experts who noticed that asthmatic and allergic issues were only worsening due to a lack of regulation to make sure products could help with this.
As the oldest and largest non-profit of its kind around, this group works to try and help customers make better choices about the kind of products they use. If you are someone who suffers from allergens or asthma, then the group can be the perfect way to help you overcome such problems and feel healthier, happier, and free of such problems.
At the moment, the Certification Program that they operate has tested all manner of consumer products to help make sure people can be fully informed about what they are buying and what it really does. Many claims can be made, but this Certification program looks to see how valid their claims turn out to be.
60 million Americans, and growing, suffer from either allergic reactions or asthmatic attacks. All of them must make their homes smarter, safer, and cleaner. Be sure to pass on anyone you know who is going to buy a product to have a look at their platform. It’s very useful for educating and informing yourself about the problem at hand.
How can I keep my carpet allergy free?
So, as you’ve probably guessed, the best way to keep your carpet allergen-free is to vacuum regularly. The main method to remove dust mites and other particles is the frequent and thorough vacuuming of all surfaces, not just the carpet. Always use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter because it removes more tiny particles than a regular vacuum.
But there are many cleaning products that also help you keep the carpet clean. And best of all, these are natural and hypoallergic so the whole family is safe from allergy-triggering ingredients.
For the deepest clean, it’s best to use a water filtration vacuum cleaner. Check out our review of the top ones and see how they can help you clean more efficiently. A wet vacuum helps remove almost all allergens from carpeting. There are some models that have a HEPA filter too, so you’re getting a double filtration system that removes way more allergens than a regular vacuum cleaner.
Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Cleaning Products Reviewed
Luckily there are many natural, green, and eco-friendly cleaning products out there. When you use these, you don’t have to worry about allergy flare-ups because the ingredients are clean, safe, and most importantly, hypoallergenic.
We’ve reviewed the top ones to help you make an informed decision.
Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Powder: PL360 Odor Neutralizing
Are you tired of dirty carpets but hate using chemicals? I’ve got a cheap and effective solution for you. This natural carpet cleaning powder has a light citrus fragrance that smells fresh. It’s plant-derived cleaner and non-allergenic, so it’s safe for use in all homes. Households with allergy sufferers, children, and pets will enjoy cleaning with this natural product because it’s safe. It’s a great option because it’s made with 100% bio ingredients which is great for you and the planet.
I’m always worried about the effect of harsh chemicals in my home. But the carpet stains are just so stubborn, I can’t imagine removing the odors without chemicals – until now.
Here’s what this carpet powder DOESN’T CONTAIN:
- chlorine bleach
- synthetic fragrances
Instead, it works efficiently with simple natural ingredients and still leaves your carpets smelling fresh and clean.
- The powder is made with a mineral-derived absorbent and corn starch. It works to completely absorb liquid and odors deep inside the carpet fibers.
- You can use it on carpets, upholstery, and rugs and it leaves a fresh citrus lemon scent without smelling too intense.
- The scent discourages pets from urinating and pooping on the carpeted area.
- It also works on tough spots and fabric. Simply rub the fabric with powder and a cloth.
Best Fragrance-Free Carpet Deodorizer: NonScents Pet and Dog Odor Eliminator
If you suffer from allergies, you know that scents trigger allergic reactions. Therefore, you probably want a fragrance-free carpet powder that deodorizes and removes all scents without adding new scents into the mix. This particular powder is targeted towards pet owners because it removes all pet odors. However, even pet-free households can benefit from this powder because it actually removes and neutralizes all kinds of household odors.
This product is so easy to use, simply sprinkle a small amount on pet stains, or on dirty carpets and vacuum over it. It leaves your carpets feeling fresh, without any irritating scents. That’s all due to the natural biodegradable formula which is safe for kids, pets, and asthmatics. Imagine your cat urinating outside the litter box…it is infuriating because it smells awful. But if you use a carpet powder you can quickly eliminate the odor from the carpet fibers.
- ELIMINATES AND NEUTRALIZE CARPET ODORS: The powder removes odors permanently. These include pet odors, odors from pet urine and feces, smoke, mildew, mold, sweat, and cooking smells.
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN AND PETS: This product is formulated without any harsh chemicals. It contains biodegradable organic chlorine that’s derived from amino acids and table salt. Therefore, you can pronounce the ingredients, so you know they’re natural and safer for the family.
- 30 DAY LONG-LASTING PROTECTION: Although it’s fragrance-free, the powder continues to protect and destroy new odors in the same spot for up to 30 days after application. Now that’s odor protection you can actually count on!
Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Shampoo: Biokleen Natural Carpet Cleaner
Regular carpet shampoos are full of chemicals and ingredients you can’t even pronounce. I’ve always been concerned about the effects of those shampoos on my family. If someone in your family suffers from allergies, you know that exposure to some cleaning products triggers sneezing, coughing, and general malaise. With the Biokleen carpet shampoo, you can clean effectively using natural plant-based ingredients. It has a lovely grapefruit and orange citrus scent that fills the room with fragrance. But, it’s not the type of synthetic fragrance that causes allergies.
This is one of those products that tough on dirt but gentle on the planet. A little goes a long way, so you can clean safely without using a ton of product. Even old musty rugs become like new if you use this carpet shampoo. It’s so good at removing stains and odors, you don’t need to do any scrubbing.
- This shampoo has a plant-based formula.
- It cleans tough stains and trapped odors without scrubbing and additional substances.
- It’s safe to use on all washable fibers is gentle on backings and pads.
- There are no artificial fragrances, only natural citrus extracts, thus it doesn’t trigger allergies.
- Safe for kids and pets.
- It doesn’t leave any residue behind and there are no fumes or smelly vapors
Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Freshener: Oxyfresh All Purpose Deodorizer
Most air and carpet fresheners use harsh chemicals to mask odors. They don’t actually remove them, but instead, masks them so you temporarily don’t smell them.
When it comes to freshening up the carpet, a multi-purpose spray like this is Oxyfresh is a great way to add some freshness to the carpet. It’s a safe and non-toxic formula you can use even if you have children and pets. You can use it for more than just to freshen up your carpet, it works on furniture, hard surfaces, fabric, and upholstery, so your whole home has a light mint aroma. Don’t worry, the scent isn’t too overpowering and it’s not a synthetic fragrance. Thus, you don’t need to worry about allergic reactions.
The odor-neutralizing formula is infused with essential peppermint oil so there are no harsh chemicals.
- Multi-purpose Deodorizer: This is a truly versatile mint-scented deodorizer. You can use it on all types of surfaces. It’s perfect for bathrooms, carpets, kitchens, furniture, cars, and even pet areas. So, you can neutralize odors everywhere and your whole home smells fragrant and fresh.
- This is an environmentally friendly and chemical-free product, so it’s safe for use around asthmatics, kids, and animals.
- It’s residue-free, so it doesn’t trigger allergies.
- Contains essential oils: This freshener contains no harsh chemicals or overpowering fragrances. The unique deodorizer neutralizes odors at the source. It’s special because it’s the only odor neutralizer that is infused with natural peppermint essential oil and Oxygene for a light fresh scent.
- This fast-acting formula removes odors in just 60 seconds, so you don’t need to waste your time freshening up the house with other methods. Simply spray and go.
Best Hypoallergenic Carpet Spot Cleaner: Rejuvenate Stain Remover
If you’ve ever spilled coffee on your carpet you know how hard it is to remove. The key is to remove the stain ASAP. So, I recommend a good natural enzyme spot remover like Rejuvenate. You simply spray it on the stain and let it act for a minute, then remove it. It’s a lifesaver because it makes cleaning effortless.
A handy carpet cleaning spray is ideal for removing all kinds of spots and stains on your carpet. Although this product is targeted towards pet stain removal, it works on all types of spots. It is a non-toxic kid and pet-friendly formula with powerful natural enzymes for a fresh spotless clean. There’s nothing worse than ugly dark stains on your carpet, it just makes the rug look old and dirty. It doesn’t just clean and remove spots, but it also deodorizes and makes the carpet smell fresh.
- The spray instantly and permanently removes stains by dissolving proteins, starches, and pigmentation. Best of all, there’s no need for heavy scrubbing or the use of chemicals.
- You can use it on all soft surfaces, like carpets, rugs, sofas, upholstery, pet beds, and fabrics.
- It is a professional grade stain and odor remover.
- It’s safe for pets and kids.
- This spray is an excellent way to remove stains left by your dear cat or dog through urine, vomit, or even feces. So, you can say goodbye to any gross stains and smells in your house.
- It eliminates stains, odors, and residue. The spray has a Safe, pH-balanced, bio-enzymatic formula specifically designed for carpet stains and stain removal.
Best Ways to Clean Your Carpet Without Chemicals
Now that you’ve seen our list of the top hypoallergenic cleaning products, it’s time to see how to clean the carpet effectively,
As you probably already know, a carpet cleaning machine is the best machine for cleaning carpets. Unfortunately, many of the soaps and detergents you use with the carpet cleaner are full of harsh chemicals and intense fragrances. Did you know that carpet cleaner soaps leave behind a thin residue? This residue triggers allergies, especially if it’s not natural.
But luckily, there are many natural, organic, and chemical-free alternatives on the market.
So, with that in mind, here is how to clean your carpet with a carpet cleaning machine.
Hypoallergenic Soap and Detergent
This is a bit hard to find, especially if you’re looking for fragrance-free products. However, you can use an old classic like the Ivory dish soaps. Add a couple of drops in the carpet cleaner’s water basin to clean. It’s not too foamy and it cleans all kinds of stains and messes efficiently.
You can always opt for a natural rinse agent like white vinegar. Did you know that vinegar works well as a carpet cleaner? It effectively removes all types of dirt and spots and also gets rid of residue left behind by other products. What I like most about using vinegar as a carpet cleaner is that you don’t need to rinse it! As the carpet dries, the vinegar evaporates, leaving you with a clean and scentless carpet. You don’t need to worry about the potent sour smell of vinegar, as it doesn’t stick around in your carpet.
Add about half a cup of vinegar to your carpet cleaner water tank and let it dissipate through the hot steam as you use it.
An oxidizing agent is used to clean spots on the carpet. One of the best stain removers is hydrogen peroxide. It is a hypoallergenic substance that leaves no residue behind. All you have to do is pour it on the spot and let it bubble away until it becomes a foam. Then, use a clean cloth and wipe it away. You’ll see that the spot disappears and you’ve got a clean carpet!
To keep your carpet clean, avoid soaking it with too much water. Carpets are made of many fibers and foam, which are breeding grounds for bacteria, mildew, and mold. The majority of carpet cleaners have come with a vacuum extraction tool. This sucks up the water into a reservoir to ensure you don’t leave water behind.
What should I look for in an eco-friendly carpet cleaner?
You should look for several important features to make sure the product you choose is actually safe and good for you:
- No harsh chemicals.
- Plant-derived, bio, or natural ingredients.
- Rapid action formula that acts fast.
- Versatile and multiple-use – some products can be used on multiple surfaces.
- Third-party certifications such as the “certified organic” label or other certifications.
- Light fragrance or no fragrance. Avoid intense scents as these provoke allergic reactions.
- Pet-friendly and child-safe formulas are healthier to use in your home.
With so many carpet cleaning solutions, I’m sure you’re already thinking about which one to buy. Hypoallergenic carpet cleaners are available, you just have to look carefully. These ensure you don’t have allergy symptoms and flare-ups and they help keep your home as clean as possible. It’s not that hard to make cleaning eco-friendly and green. It’s healthy for you, and helps the planet too!