Reciprocating saws are a common sight in many people’s toolboxes because of their versatility. Anybody can use the versatile tool, even if you’re just a casual DIYer. Being a gardener with the right blade, pruning plants with a reciprocating saw became a walk in the park!
It’s not only about cutting down on the landscape or flowers, is it? Indeed, there’s a lot more to it than that. In fact, it’s possible to cut through practically any substance with the best pruning blade for reciprocating saw, including metals, brick, and fiberglass, as well as concrete and plaster.
When it comes to using an optimal pruning blade, the more you know about it, the better off you will be. We have selected some of the most excellent pruning blades on the market. Come on, let’s get started!
Whatever your skill level is, reciprocating saw blades are evolving to meet your needs. As long as you have the right product, your Sawzall saw can rip through a wood in a matter of seconds.
You will find many manufacturers provide a wide selection of blade alternatives to fulfill the needs of such a diverse range of materials, including metal, wood, and plastic. Besides, finding the best reciprocating saw blades for wood might be difficult because of the wide variety of options on the market.
As a matter of fact, making a mistake while the purchase not only costs time and money but also jeopardizes safety. Don’t get worked up; this guide is here to help you avoid such blunders and assist you in choosing the finest Sawzall saw blade for any job.
In this post we'll cover:
- Top 5 Best Pruning Blades for Reciprocating Saw
- 1. Freud DS0903CP3 Diablo 9″ Carbide Pruning Reciprocating Blade
- 2. HORUSDY 9-Inch Wood Pruning Reciprocating Saw Blades
- 3. Sawzall 9-Inch 5-Pack and 6-Inch 7-Pack Wood Pruning Saw Blades
- 4. Diablo Pruning Reciprocating Saw Blade
- 5. BOSCH RP95 5 pc. 9 in. 5 TPI Edge Reciprocating Saw Blades
- DEWALT Reciprocating Saw Blades
- 4. 9-Inch 5-Pack and 6-Inch 7-Pack Wood Pruning Saw Blades
- 5. 12-Piece 6 Inch Reciprocating Saw Blades
- Frequently Asked Question
- Final Word
Top 5 Best Pruning Blades for Reciprocating Saw
A broad range of pruning blades are available, but not all of them fulfill the needs and desires of every user. In light of this, here are our top five recommendations for the best pruning blades.
1. Freud DS0903CP3 Diablo 9″ Carbide Pruning Reciprocating Blade
We feel this is the most outstanding 9-inch pruning blade available on the market today. For those who don’t mind paying a premium for the finest 9-inch pruning blade, this is it. Besides that, quality, innovation, and performance all come with this superior option.
These diablo blades will provide you with the most satisfactory pruning experience. Moreover, the variable tooth configuration of the reciprocating saw blade signifies quicker and more precise cuts.
Aside from reducing vibration, this product for pruning is more efficient than traditional saw blades. On the other hand, this option in question can effectively slash through timber and various other components.
In order to provide a long service life and high-grade durability, the blade’s structure construction uses a high-performance carbide material. When cutting wood, this is the greatest blade for abrasion resistance. Compared to other choices, this one has three blades in a pack.
With a carbide-tipped cutting edge, this blade lasts 50 times longer than conventional options. On top of that, the broad and deep gullets of the blades significantly aid in chip removal. Consequently, you can expect a long service life from this high-quality blade.
- Cutting dead and superfluous twigs is made much easier with this blade
- This blade will not wear out due to excessive abrasion
- The blade’s edges are razor-sharp
- Last longer than ordinary blades by 50 times
- Suitable for heavy-duty and difficult jobs
- More costly than standard options
- Solid sharp teeth will whip you about like rag dolls
With this product, you will discover the full potential of your reciprocating saw. There is nothing better than these blades, provided you are not concerned about the budget. Subsequently, there are no comparable blades on the market regarding efficiency, structure, or performance. Check prices and availability here
2. HORUSDY 9-Inch Wood Pruning Reciprocating Saw Blades
Another great reciprocating saw pruning blade! If anything, this blade should be your first pick if you’re looking for a low-cost yet high-quality instrument. For rapid and precise pruning, these 9-inch blades are composed of high carbon steel.
Furthermore, it contains the most cutting-edge tooth patterns to provide a clean and crisp cut. With five teeth per inch, it offers optimum tooth spacing for more refined work done.
This blade is perfect for ordinary wood cutting around the yard, workshop, or garden. At the same time, this product, in particular, is compatible with all reciprocating saw manufacturers.
With some saws, changing the blades is as simple as removing and reinstalling them. The edges are packaged in a transparent plastic storage box that can only be accessed by pulling it open. This feature is an additional safety measure.
Predominantly, the blades will remain securely locked in place, even if you smash, shake, or otherwise jostle the case. Above all, advanced hardening and strengthened sharp tips provide superior pruning cuts. As a result, you can cut a log into any shape you want with these blades.
- A wide variety of saws may be used with this tool
- Switching out the blades do not take a long time at all
- It’s ideal for chopping through dense woods and twigs
- Composed of carbon steel of the best standard
- Guarantee of years of resilience
- Teeth are too soft to commence cuts in hard woods
- Blade wears out quite fast
As a cheaper alternative, the style, quality, and pricing make it an excellent pick. The blade has enough functionality and quality to allow you to prune quickly and thoroughly. You will be able to go through a lot of trees with this option. Check the latest prices here
3. Sawzall 9-Inch 5-Pack and 6-Inch 7-Pack Wood Pruning Saw Blades
This specific wood reciprocating saw blade can prune practically any woody plant with its wear resistance, heat resistance, and ultra-hard qualities. As for this option, various sizes are available to suit your requirements.
When it comes to cutting plastic tubing and wood in the garden, these reciprocating pruning saw blades are the perfect solution. Saw blades with a high-quality CRV heat treatment have a service life more than twice that of standard high carbon steel reciprocating saw blades.
As a result, pruning wood and timber is a piece of cake by using this product. Besides, the blades have a universal fit, i.e., almost all reciprocating saw tool brands, including DeWalt, Makita, are compatible with these pruning blades.
For heavy-duty and challenging tasks, the 0.059-inch thickness is an ideal feature for both professionals and novices. Fast cutting pace, quick and clean trimming, and labor-saving are just a few of the advantages of this wood pruning reciprocating saw blade.
- Heavy uses need- a thickness of 0.059 inch
- Suitable for all types of wood cutting jobs and also with plastic pipes
- Saw blades are CRV heat treated for timber and pruning tools
- It offers durability and long lasting service
- Universally compatible with all sorts of reciprocating saws
- Each tooth has a lip on edge, making it less sharp
- Opening the packaging is an agonizingly tough task
The blade is made of high-quality CRV-treated material, which ensures long-term durability. In addition, when cutting tree limbs, plastic, or wood, it delivers impressive results. With it, you will be able to carry out expert cutting tasks. Check prices and availability here
4. Diablo Pruning Reciprocating Saw Blade
As for the fleam ground teeth, without a doubt, the pruning experience will remain superior. Bi-directional teeth make up the stainless steel blade. As a result, the cut is more rapid and fluid in both directions.
Removing the chip is a cinch, thanks to the large, deep gullet. Pruning woods and getting rid of the tree twigs is the sole use for this blade, and it’s highly recommended not to use it on a nail hammered dry timber. Additionally, the package includes five 12-inch pruning blades.
Hence, having a blade with a long reach makes it easier to cut large distances. More than anything, pruning can be done quickly and easily with five teeth per inch feature.
The innovative configuration of the blade’s tip allows it to cut quicker and more efficiently. Blades with a reinforced cutting edge are hell-bent on lasting for a long time, just like this one. Almost all reciprocating saws will accept the blade as its core component for pruning.
- Both softer and hardwoods are appropriate for this blade
- Equipped with bi-directional teeth for quick and simple cutting
- It is simpler to chop timbers into tiny pieces
- 12-inch long steel blade provides great reach for cutting long distances
- Perhaps a tad too agile at times
- Metal objects, such as nails, may readily damage the blade’s teeth
You don’t have to put in a lot of effort since the teeth of this blade are quite sharp. Moreover, it cuts through both soft and hardwood efficiently. It is also worth noting that the pricing is in line with the quality. Check prices here
5. BOSCH RP95 5 pc. 9 in. 5 TPI Edge Reciprocating Saw Blades
And undoubtedly, you will have no complaints regarding the performance. Also intended for smooth and quick pruning work, the five teeth per inch are spaced correctly.
Apart from that, it is an intense pro cutting blade, which is particularly appropriate for demanding work. It’s safe to say, all other reciprocating saw blades on the market are inferior to these precision ground blades. Every pruning experience begins sharply and continues to improve.
For simple identification, the blades are marked with the color gray, not to get mixed up with your other reciprocating saw blades in your toolbox. Essentially made in Switzerland using the finest materials, including high-carbon stainless steel, this blade is built to withstand the test of time.
In order to achieve quicker and more aggressive cutting, each of the blades has a 5-inch tilt. And speaking from our experience, pruning and timber cutting is a breeze with these blades.
- Performance that is both quick and long-lasting
- Provides great cutting throughout high-performance operations
- Speedier pruning because of five-degree tilt angle
- Blades are identified by their grey hue
- Five teeth per inch spacing ensure smooth and rapid trimming
- Not suitable for wood with nails
- Blade bends quickly and does not endure as long
Because of the blade’s increased speed, you will perform cutting tasks much faster. Make sure you have the stamina to keep going for a long time with this excellent blade. If you want to get the job done well, you may get this blade.
DEWALT Reciprocating Saw Blades
There is no doubt that this brand produces some of the top Sawzall saw blades in the world. For cutting into wood, this six-piece kit comes with a range of bi-metal blades.
There are six different blades in this collection of reciprocating saw blades with six other TPI to choose from. The different TPI ranges from 6 to 24. Bi-metal saw blades, like these, combine the best of both worlds the flexibility of carbon steel and the durability of high-speed steel.
Slicing through large slabs of wood requires a straight cut, and these blades provide just that. Bi-metal blades are more expensive; however, they can last ten times longer than carbon steel blades. The initial cost is higher, but long-term savings are worth it.
These blades are unique in the sense that they may be used with any brand of reciprocating saw. They can cut through a variety of layers since each product is 6 inches long.
Subsequently, for effective cutting and extended life, patented tooth shapes maximize chip clearance. As a result, the cutting speed of the blades may be increased by this design.
Moreover, metallic construction provides a long life expectancy. In fact, they’re also rust-proof due to the bright yellow paint coating.
- Possible to use them with any reciprocating saw
- Increased speed due to unique teeth structure
- Straight and clean cutting experience
- Construction with two metals allows for greater blade durability
- Number of teeth is relatively high
- Blades are too short for specific tasks
- It’s easy to break
For both commercial and DIY purposes, this collection is a cost-effective alternative. The universal fit with all Sawzall saws is also a plus for users. Most importantly, the dual-metal design ensures that the blade’s cutting edge will remain sharp for more extended periods.
4. 9-Inch 5-Pack and 6-Inch 7-Pack Wood Pruning Saw Blades
An excellent Sawzall blade like this one is no surprise from the manufacturers. In terms of both quality and lifespan, this blade is unquestionably better compared to other options available in the market.
These reciprocating pruning saw blades are ideal for the landscape when it comes to cutting plastic and wood. Compared to reciprocating saw blades made of conventional high carbon steel, saw blades made of high-quality CRV heat treatment have double the service life.
This particular Sawzall blade can prune nearly any wooden chunks thanks to its superior features, wear and heat resistance. Besides that, this 12-set product is divided into two parts. The five-pack consists of 9-inch blades with five teeth per inch.
Likewise, the seven-pack alternative incorporates 6-inch blades with six teeth-per-inch. And to make things even easier, this product makes pruning wood and lumber a cinch with ease. This blade has a strengthened cutting edge, which means it will survive a long time.
Aside from that, these pruning blades are universally compatible with almost all brands of reciprocating saws. In addition to its high cutting speed and clean and precise trimming, this wood pruning reciprocating saw blade also reduces the user’s workload.
- CRV heat treatment is used to harden the blades for cutting wood
- 9-inch and 6-inch sizes available for convenience
- Suitable for cutting wood and plastic alike
- All types of Sawzall saws are compatible with these blades
- Long-lasting and durable product
- Lip on the edge of each tooth makes the cuts rough
- It’s very difficult to get the package open
Without a doubt, these Sawzall saw blades are versatile in performing woodcutting. We are particularly fond of the CRV-treated construction that offers an extended lifespan. Similarly, these blades are also compatible with all types of reciprocating saw blades.
5. 12-Piece 6 Inch Reciprocating Saw Blades
When it comes to the best reciprocating saw pruning tool, this option has you covered with a variety of blades. As it happens, there are 12 pieces in this set of reciprocating saw blades, which is more than enough for any wood pruning task.
All wood varieties are cut with excellent thermally treated tools, including hardwoods, soft branches, heavy shrubs, trunks, and more. In fact, hardening and tempering a blade enhances its performance and toughness, allowing it to last longer.
As we see it, using a carbon-steel frame provides long-term use and reliability. Furthermore, woodcutting with a blade that is less than 1.5 mm thick considerably reduces vibrations.
In all honesty, pruning is easier and more precise with the five-teeth-per-inch pattern. On top of that, DEWALT, BLACK+DECKER, Milwaukee, and other major reciprocating saw manufacturers are compatible with these blades.
On a high-quality plastic storage container, the blades are supplied for convenient and safe transport. Once more, in addition to greenwood, it is possible to prune both dry and dense planks of wood with these premium-quality blades. All the 12 pieces in the set are 6-inches in length.
- These blades are suitable to work with all types of reciprocating saw
- Great option for dry and green woods
- Precision pruning of thick stems is possible with this product
- Made of high-quality and flexible carbon-steel
- Additional thickness of around 1.5 millimeters prevents the vibration
- Compact saws should not utilize this option
- Construction is flimsy
Since it’s the final product on our list, we were sure not to disappoint you in any way. If anything, these blades’ unique and innovative features have made it one of our favorite choice. Although compact saws aren’t a big fan of this option, almost all Sawzall saw is compatible with it.
Frequently Asked Question
- Are all Sawzall saw blades the same?
Yes, most reciprocating saw blades include a universal shank that is designed to accommodate all Sawzall saws.
- What does more TPI on a saw blade mean?
Blades with higher TPI(Teeth Per Inch) provide a finer cut, whereas options with less TPI remove material more quickly.
- What is the ideal TPI for woodcutting jobs?
Blades with a tooth density of 3 to 11 per inch are ideal for cutting wood and trees. The edges of low-TPI blades are harsher than those of high-TPI blades.
- What is the ideal thickness of a reciprocating saw blade?
First and foremost, the lengthier the blade, the greater the depth of the cut. On the other hand, if the options are more rigid, they are less likely to bend or wobble. Heavy-duty blades might be 7/8-inch broad or 0.062-inch thick, depending on the application.
- Can you use a reciprocating saw for pruning?
There’s no point in this comprehensive review if you couldn’t use a reciprocating saw for pruning. In fact, not only does it cut metal, but it’s perfectly capable of snapping the twigs and cutting wood.
- What is the optimal TPI for chopping down trees?
For wood and trees, blades with teeth per inch of 3 to 11 work well. Low-TPI blades cut more quickly, but the edges are rougher.
- What is an HCS blade?
The Softest blade material is High Carbon Steel. HCS blades are the most pliable, which means they are also the least durable.
- Is it possible to cut plywood with a reciprocating saw?
With a reciprocating saw, you can cut wood and a broad range of other materials, including metal. There is no trouble cutting through plywood and plyboard.
- Is it possible to chop trees using a reciprocating saw?
Generally speaking, reciprocating saws may be used to prune trees. However, the smaller the tree, the easier it will be for you to use it as a saw.
Ultimately, there is no replacement for superior quality blades when it comes to pruning. The best pruning blade for reciprocating saw we’ve selected and reviewed might assist you in making an informed decision about which one to buy.
I'm Joost Nusselder, the founder of Tools Doctor, content marketer, and dad. I love trying out new equipment, and together with my team I've been creating in-depth blog articles since 2016 to help loyal readers with tools & crafting tips.