Have you ever experienced being in the middle of a DIY job, possibly standing at the top of a ladder, electric screwdriver in hand, then dropping the screws which roll under the debris on your workshop floor, climbing down, and starting all over again?
But now you can avoid this happening by investing in a simple, but effective, product: the magnetic wristband.
Like all products, there are several different magnetic wristbands on the market, all offering similar features.
After researching a variety of these wristbands, my first choice would definitely be the MagnoGrip 311-090 Magnetic Wristband, not least because it has a great holding capacity, a good size surface area, it’s comfortable to wear for long periods and very durable.
But don’t just take my word for it.
Take a read through my review of some of the best magnetic wristbands on the market today, and decide for yourself which would be best for you and your needs.
I’ve detailed the pros and cons of each wristband from a wide range of manufacturers, at various prices.
|Best magnetic wristbands||Images|
|Best overall magnetic wristband: MagnoGrip 311-090|
|Best magnetic wristband with thumb support: BinyaTools|
|Best magnetic wristband with flashlight: MEBTOOLS|
|Best magnetic wristband for home use: Wizsla Set of 2|
|Strongest magnetic wristband for its size: Kusonkey|
|Magnetic wristband with largest surface area: GOOACC GRC-61|
|Best magnetic wristband gift for a handyman/woman: Ankace|
|Most comfortable magnetic wristband: RAK Tool Bracelet|
What is a magnetic wristband?
A magnetic wristband is a tool bracelet with a strong magnet inside that allows you to keep all your screws, nails, drill bits, nuts, and bolts safely and neatly attached to your wrist until you need to use them.
No more crawling around on the floor looking for lost screws, no more frustrating hold-ups.
The bands are designed to fit comfortably onto the arm/wrist and not hamper the work process in any way.
In tight spaces, for example, underneath a car, where you are unable to reach your wrist, the wristband can be unwrapped and laid flat-out like a magnetic tray.
Two types of magnetic wristbands
There are two basic types of magnetic tool wristbands:
- the wrist-only band
- the band that has wrist support
The latter wraps around your thumb which stop it from moving or turning around your wrist.
Who uses magnetic tool wristbands?
This simple but effective product has many applications. It’s ideal for use by electricians, plumbers, mechanics, handymen or handywomen!
The magnetic tool wristband doesn’t always have to be worn on the wrist. If you are working on a ladder, you could wrap the band around a rung, or attach it to your belt.
Talking about belts, here’s why the Occidental Toolbelt is my all-time favorite
Must-have features of magnetic tool wristbands
Let’s say you have decided that this accessory that would make life easier for you in your workshop.
Before you make your final purchase, it would be to your advantage to take note of the following features that are essential in a magnetic wristband.
Strength of the magnet
The band should be embedded with super strong magnets, and these should cover the whole area so that the full band is usable. The magnets must be strong enough to hold a range of nails, screws, drill bits, etc.
Size and comfort
The band should be an adequate size to reach around the whole wrist. There should be an adjustable feature so that the size can be altered to fit different-sized wrists. It should be comfortable enough for the user to wear for long periods.
Surface area and pockets
There should be adequate surface area so that it can hold a good number of screws and bolts etc. Some designs have a mesh pocket for storing non-magnetic items.
The band should be made of high-quality polyester in order to make it durable and resistant to sharp blades. It should also be water-resistant and have a breathable layer against the skin, for comfortable wear.
Best magnetic wristbands reviewed
Now we have our priorities when it comes to magnetic wristbands straight, let’s get into the reviews.
Best overall magnetic wristband: MagnoGrip 311-090
The MagnoGrip 311-090 Magnetic Wristband has a maximum circumference of 12 inches and a holding capacity of up to one pound. It is made of durable polyester, with a breathable layer against the skin.
The band is embedded with strategically placed magnets and is designed to hold small items such as nails, screws, drill bits, and small tools. It is ideal for most woodworking, home improvement, and do-it-yourself projects.
It comes as a one size fits all, but can be adjusted to fit different-sized wrists.
It’s my favorite due to its strength, comfort, and price. You get a lot of ‘bang for your buck’ and the durability means it will last a long time.
- Strength: It has a holding capacity of up to one pound, which is more than adequate for most DIY and home improvement projects. This weight can also hold wrenches and small tools.
- Size and comfort: The lightweight design makes it comfortable to wear for long periods and it has a breathable layer against the skin. It has a maximum circumference of 12 inches, but the design allows it to be adjusted in order to fit different wrist sizes.
- Surface area: It has a large, flat surface area that provides more than sufficient space for a variety of metal items.
- Durability: This band is made of highly durable 1680D ballistic polyester. It is embedded with super strong magnets. It is water-resistant.
Best magnetic wristband with thumb support: BinyaTools
The unique design of the BinyaTools Magnetic Wristband makes it particularly safe and comfortable to wear. It is made from perforated neoprene fabric which makes it both light and breathable.
It weighs only 1.85 ounces. The special wrist support, which wraps around the thumb, stops the band from moving around your wrist or sliding up your arm.
It is embedded with 9 neodymium magnets which are strong enough to hold even small tools like pliers and cutters.
- Strength: This wristband is embedded with 9 super-strong neodymium magnets, which makes it strong enough to hold, not only screws and nails, but even small tools like pliers and cutters.
- Size and comfort: This is a particularly comfortable magnetic wristband, because of its unique design. It has a special wrist support that wraps around the thumb and stops the band from slipping around the wrist while you are working. It weighs only 1.85 ounces and is made from perforated neoprene fabric, which makes it breathable and comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
- Surface area: The magnets in this belt are strategically embedded around the whole belt which provides an adequate surface area to hold a variety of metal tools and bits and pieces.
- Durability: The neoprene fabric is hard-wearing, water-resistant, and durable.
Best magnetic wristband with flashlight: MEBTOOLS
The MEBTOOLS Magnetic Wristband is a multi-purpose wristband with a built-in flashlight and a large mesh pocket for holding stainless steel and plastic bits and pieces.
It comes with a mini tape measure and a loop to hold a marker/pencil. It is embedded with 20 high-quality, strong magnets which give it excellent holding power.
It is fully adjustable and made of ballistic nylon material which makes it breathable and comfortable to wear.
This tool comes packaged in an attractive gift box, which makes it an ideal gift for any handyman or woman.
- Strength: There are 20 strong magnets embedded in the band which give it excellent holding capacity.
- Size and comfort: It is lightweight and made of ballistic nylon material. This makes it breathable and comfortable to wear. It can be adjusted to fit different size wrists. The built-in flashlight is a very useful feature, especially for contractors and mechanics working underneath vehicles.
- Surface area: The surface area is made multi-purpose by the addition of a large mesh pocket for holding a tape measure and other non-metal extras. There is also a loop for holding a marker or pencil.
- Durability: The band is made of bright orange ballistic nylon material, which is both durable and water resistant.
Best magnetic wristband for home use: Wizsla Set of 2
The Wizla comes in a pack of two wristbands, one small and one large, both of which are adjustable. Between the two sizes, the wristbands cover most wrist sizes.
There are 6 magnets embedded in the large wristband (Maxi fit) and 4 in the small wristband (Light fit). This arrangement provides maximum comfort to the user.
It’s great for home use, but the magnets aren’t strong enough for extremely heavy items.
- Strength: With 6 magnets embedded in the large wristband and 4 in the small one, these wristbands have more than enough strength to hold a variety of screws, nails and drill bits.
- Size and comfort: There are two magnetic bands in this pack, one small and one large. Both are adjustable and, together, they would cover most wrist sizes. The smaller band has only four magnets to make it light enough for a small-sized wrist. It has a breathable mesh layer next to the skin, for added comfort.
- Surface area: One wristband will fit your wrist perfectly, and the other wristband can be used in other ways. You can wear it on your other hand, put it on a tool belt (like these top choices), lay it down as a tool mat or attach it to the ladder. Thus, the surface area is expanded.
- Durability: The outer layer is made from thick 1680D double-layered ballistic nylon, in attractive Bondi blue.
Strongest magnetic wristband for its size: Kusonkey
This magnetic wristband is lightweight and portable. Weighing less than 70g, it is ideal for most woodworking, home improvement, and DIY projects.
Made of 100% 168D ballistic polyester, with a Velcro strap up to 13.2 cm, this magnetic wristband is easily adjustable to suit the size of your wrist.
It has a particularly large surface area, embedded with 15 super-strong magnets which surround almost the entire wrist, perfect for holding a wide range of small tools and accessories.
- Strength: Although it weighs less than 70g, this wristband is embedded with 15 super strong magnets, which give it excellent holding capacity.
- Size and comfort: The belt is lightweight with an adjustable Velcro strap that fastens very securely. It has a breathable padded mesh layer next to the skin, for additional comfort and to allow your skin to breathe.
- Surface area: It has a large surface area, and the magnets are arranged around the whole length of the strap, for maximum use of the space.
- Durability: Made of 100 percent 168D polyester, it is a durable product. The breathable padded mesh inner layer allows the air to circulate and the skin to breathe.
Magnetic wristband with largest surface area: GOOACC GRC-61
This magnetic wristband is 15 inches long and 3.5 inches wide, giving it a big surface area. The strong Velcro strap allows it to be adjusted for size, which makes it suitable for 4-inch to 14.5-inch wrists.
It is equipped with 15 powerful magnets, which give it very good holding and it is made of durable 1680D ballistic polyester, making it lightweight, durable as well as water-resistant.
- Strength: It is equipped with 15 powerful magnets which give it excellent strength and holding capacity.
- Size and comfort: It is 15 inches long and has a strong Velcro strap that can be adjusted to fit wrists of varying sizes – from 4 inches to 14.5 inches.
- Surface area: At 15 inches long and 3.5 inches wide, it has a big surface area.
- Durability: This magnetic wristband is made of durable 1680D ballistic polyester. This makes it lightweight, long-lasting, and water-resistant.
Best magnetic wristband gift for a handyman/woman: Ankace
The Ankace magnetic wristband is made from 100 percent 1680d ballistic polyester. The black band is embedded with 15 super strong neodymium magnets, which are strategically placed for optimum effectiveness.
It has a strong Velcro fastener for easy size adjustment and the breathable mesh layer offers maximum comfort to the wearer.
One of the best features of this magnetic wristband is that it also includes 2 pockets – very useful for holding those non-metallic tools.
This convenient 2-pack makes a fantastic gift and is budget-friendly too.
- Strength: The Ankace magnetic wristband is embedded with 10 super strong neodymium magnets. These are strategically placed throughout the band, for maximum hold and optimum effectiveness.
- Size and comfort: The band is 13 inches long, with a strong Velcro fastener which allows the band to be altered to fit almost any size wrist. It is thus suitable for both men and women.
- Surface area: The wristband is 3.5 inches wide, which gives it a good surface area, without being too bulky.
- Durability: Made of high-quality material, with super-strong magnets, this magnetic band is made to last.
Most comfortable magnetic wristband: RAK Tool Bracelet
The RAK magnetic wristband contains 10 strong magnets that are embedded throughout the band, to cover almost the entire wrist. The double Velcro fastening allows for easy and convenient adjustment to fit any size wrist.
The RAK Magnetic Wristband is made of durable, lightweight, and premium 100% nylon fabric with a soft, breathable padded mesh inner layer.
- Strength: The RAK magnetic wristband contains 10 strong magnets that are strategically placed, and which give it good strength and holding capacity.
- Size and comfort: The double Velcro fastening allows the band to be adjusted to fit almost any wrist size. It is made of lightweight nylon fabric which ensures a comfortable weight. The soft, breathable padded inner layer makes the wristband comfortable to wear for long periods and allows the skin to breathe.
- Surface area: It has a large surface area, and the magnets are arranged around the whole length of the strap, for maximum use of the space.
- Durability: This wristband has an extra tough outer layer made with 1680 ballistic nylon which makes it very strong and durable.
Magnetic wristband FAQs
Will a magnetic wristband damage a smartphone if it touches the parts with magnets?
I haven’t tested the theory, but I would say yes. The magnets in a wristband are strong, so they would most likely cause damage.
How long do magnets stay magnetic?
A permanent magnet, if kept and used in optimum working conditions, will keep its magnetism for years and years.
For example, it is estimated that a neodymium magnet loses approximately 5% of its magnetism every 100 years.
What can cause a magnet to lose its magnetism?
If a magnet is exposed to high temperatures, the delicate balance between temperature and magnetic domains is destabilized.
At around 80 °C, a magnet will lose its magnetism and it will become demagnetized permanently if exposed to this temperature for a period, or if heated above their Curie temperature.
What are permanent magnets made of?
Modern permanent magnets are made of special alloys that have been found through research to create increasingly better magnets.
The most common families of magnet materials today are:
- ones made out of aluminum-nickel-cobalt (Alnico)
- strontium-iron (Ferrites, also known as Ferrites)
- neodymium-iron-boron (neo magnets, sometimes referred to as “super magnets”)
The samarium-cobalt and neodymium-iron-boron families are collectively known as the Rare Earths.
Now that you are aware of what features to look for when purchasing a magnetic wristband, you are in a strong position to make the right choice for your specific needs.
Next, check out my ultimate guide on the Best Electrician’s Tool Belts (Reviews, safety & organizing tips)
I'm Joost Nusselder, the founder of Tools Doctor, content marketer, and dad. I love trying out new equipment, and together with my team I've been creating in-depth blog articles since 2016 to help loyal readers with tools & crafting tips.