When it comes to your garage, it is all about the optimal use of space. A cluttered and disorganized garage means wasted time and energy spent hunting for tools that are not where they should be.
The overhead garage storage rack is the ultimate organizer for your garage. It organizes your garage and frees up working space, as well as provides protection for your valuable tools and accessories.
Any overhead garage storage system in my book should be made of strong and durable material so that it lasts.
It also needs to have ample load capacity, a height adjustment feature and must be compatible with all types of ceilings.
Finally, it needs built-in safety features and should, ideally, be easy to install.
I found all these features, and more, in the Fleximounts 4X8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack which is why it would be my top recommendation to anyone looking to purchase a garage storage system. It’s easily adjustable, strong as a rock, and super simple to install.
If you are looking for a smaller rack, however, or something to store your winter tires properly, I’ve got you covered as well, so keep reading.
|Best overhead garage storage||Images|
|Best overall overhead garage storage: FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8|
|Best for heavy-duty garage storage requirements: MonsterRax 4×8|
|Best for smaller garage storage solutions: HyLoft 00540 45-Inch by 45-Inch|
|Best for storage of seasonal tires and sporting equipment: HyLoft 01031 Folding TireLoft Silver|
|Best value for money overhead garage storage: SafeRacks Factory Second 4×8|
In this post we'll cover:
- Tips for buying the best overhead garage storage system
- My top recommendations for the best overhead garage storage options
- Best overall overhead garage storage: FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8
- Best for heavy-duty garage storage requirements: MonsterRax 4×8
- Best for smaller garage storage solutions: HyLoft 00540 45-Inch by 45-Inch
- Best for storage of seasonal tires and sporting equipment: HyLoft 01031 Folding TireLoft Silver
- Best value for money overhead garage storage: SafeRacks Factory Second 4×8
- Overhead garage storage FAQ
- What is overhead garage storage?
- How to install overhead garage storage system (Quick Guide)
- How much does it cost to install garage ceiling storage on average?
- Is overhead garage storage safe?
- Do all the overhead garage storage options have compatibility with ceiling studs?
- Is there any risk of scratch and paint-off problems?
- How much weight can garage ceiling racks hold?
How to strip wire fast
How to strip wire fast
Tips for buying the best overhead garage storage system
First, let’s see what makes a good overhead garage storage system.
Since there are a number of similar products on the market, some of which are showcased below, my advice is that you look out for certain features before making your final purchase decision.
This could save you money in the long run.
These are the basic features you should take note of before purchasing an overhead garage storage system. This will help you to buy the right one for your needs and your available space.
Compatibility of the product with your garage ceiling
This is the most important feature. You need to consider the ceiling compatibility of the product with your space.
If your ceiling is compatible with the various ceiling joists then you should have no trouble mounting the ceiling rack on wall studs or on the wall.
Weight capacity is also extremely important. The weight capacity must be sufficient for your needs.
If you plan to store heavyweight tools and machinery, then the system must be able to take a weight of up to 600 pounds.
Load capacity largely depends on beam construction.
L-beams or Z-beams cannot hold very heavy loads. C-channel beams are designed to hold heavyweight racks.
Size is another important feature to consider, as it needs to be compatible with your space.
You will find two types of overhead garage storage in the market. One is expandable, one is fixed.
You can adjust expandable garage storage as needed, but, if you don’t need this feature, then the fixed-size storage is perfectly adequate and generally cheaper.
Adjustable or fixed height
The adjustable height feature makes the overhead ceiling rack safe and convenient. It allows you to lower or raise the rack, depending on your reach and the space available.
Most products offer between 20 to 49 inch flexibility for raising or lowering the rack.
Easy installation is important if you want to avoid having to hire someone to do the job for you. So, look for easy installation if you want to DIY.
There are a number of safety features that you should look for. Clearance is one of the most important. Also, it is important that all the fastening bolts are sold with the product.
You can also opt for a motorized overhead system that will make raising and lowering the rack safer.
My top recommendations for the best overhead garage storage options
Alright, now you know better what to look for in overhead garage storage, let’s get into the reviews.
Best overall overhead garage storage: FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8
Fleximounts Overhead Garage Storage Rack is the ideal choice to help you maximize your garage storage space.
This durable and heavy-duty storage system can store a safe loading of up to 600 pounds. It is solidly constructed and made of powder-coated steel.
It is sturdy and stable, due to its welded together integrated wire grid design and frame.
The height-adjustable ceiling dropdown can go from 22 inches to 40 inches, allowing you to customize the height to suit your needs.
Most importantly, it has universal ceiling compatibility. The system is easy to install and comes with all the hardware and instructions needed for assembly.
- Solid construction: The construction of this product is solid and sturdy. It is made of heavy-gauge cold-rolled steel which makes it highly durable.
- Integrated design: This product has an integrated grid design of 4 x 8 ft. This offers more stability compared to other systems with separate frames and wires. It offers flexibility while providing a good weight capacity. This product is available in one-pack or two-pack with a choice of white or black finish.
- Weight capacity: It has a loading capacity of up to 600 pounds.
- Adjustable height: It has an adjustable height feature that will allow you to adjust the height from 22 inches to 40 inches for lowering or raising the drop-down space. It offers up to 105 cubic feet of storage.
- Safety: This product offers maximum safety. The hardware that is used for this product is top quality and the screws provided have all been through strict quality tests.
- Ceiling capability: The rack is compatible with securing to either ceiling studs or solid concrete ceilings. The ceiling brackets can be attached to two joists for added flexibility and security.
- Installation: No special skills are needed to install this product. It comes with all the hardware needed, as well as an installation template and detailed step-by-step instructions.
Overall, a very good buy for almost any application.
Best for heavy-duty garage storage requirements: MonsterRax 4×8
One of the leading overhead storage racks on the market, MonsterRax is a heavy-duty system that has one of the biggest weight-bearing capacities in the industry – up to 600 pounds.
It has a standard rack design with a mesh wire bottom. It offers up to 120 cubic feet of storage and is constructed from 14 gauge steel.
The powder coating offers a long-lasting weather-resistant finish and the wire decking is coated with industrial-strength zinc.
This rack offers a wide range of different drop lengths so you can adjust the item to match your individual needs and the size of your garage.
The one drawback with this product is that it is not designed to be installed in steel or concrete.
- Durability: This rack is durable as it is made of sturdy material. The powder coating makes it weather resistant. It is designed to last for years.
- Design and construction: This overhead ceiling rack is sturdy and made with good quality material. The nut, bolts, ceiling bracket, and other hardware are of good quality. For its size, it has a serious weight-bearing capacity – up to 600 pounds. It offers a wide range of different drop lengths.
- Installation: This product is easy to install but it is not designed to be installed in steel or concrete.
- Weight capacity: This rack can hold up to 600 pounds.
Overall a solid product. For the price and warranty, it is a pretty good overhead ceiling rack.
Best for smaller garage storage solutions: HyLoft 00540 45-Inch by 45-Inch
This system is designed to take full advantage of that unused ceiling space in your garage. It has a 250-pound weight load capacity and comes in a durable white powder-coated finish.
It is easy to install on both flat and vaulted ceilings and is compatible with most joist configurations. It has over 30 cubic feet of storage space – ideal for storing luggage, coolers, and seasonal decorations.
It is height adjustable and all the installation hardware comes with the product. It is safe, secure, and easy to install.
- Durability: The powder-coated finish makes it resistant to scratches and rust.
- Weight capacity: It has a 250-pound weight capacity and, thus, is not designed for very heavy loads.
- Adjustable height: It offers a 17 to 28 inches adjustable height feature.
- Installation: Easy to install and all the hardware comes with the product.
This lightweight rack is particularly suited to storing lighter items such as seasonal decorations, suitcases, and coolers. If you are looking to store heavier items, this is not the product for you
Best for storage of seasonal tires and sporting equipment: HyLoft 01031 Folding TireLoft Silver
This product is designed to store bulky recreational or track tires and wheels. It is made of high-grade and durable material and it can be adjusted from widths of 32 inches up to 48 inches.
When mounted, it can accommodate up to four standard-sized vehicle tires.
It is a multipurpose storage unit that can also be used as a folding workbench or for storing other objects like bikes or boxes. It can support up to 300 pounds and comes with a wall-mounted and foldable design.
It is easily installed on finished and unfinished walls.
- Construction: It is made entirely of durable and high-grade steel. Weighing only 16 pounds itself, it is sturdy enough to carry up to 300 lbs.
- Durable: This is a good durable product. Constructed of steel, it has a scratch-resistant silver powder coat finish.
- Installation: This product is easy to install. It is mounted on the wall using studs and screws. All hardware is included in the package
Best value for money overhead garage storage: SafeRacks Factory Second 4×8
This 4 X 8 rack is a sturdy product with a 600-pound weight load capacity. Made of industrial-strength steel, with a powder coat finish, it has a very secure fastening system.
It offers up to 90 cubic feet of storage and an adjustable height range of between 12 and 45 inches.
All Factory Second Racks have minor cosmetic flaws such as scratches and dents but these do not, in any way, affect the structure, weight capacity, or safety of the racks
- Construction: Constructed from industrial-strength steel, with a powder coat finish, this system is both sturdy and durable.
- Compatibility: This product has universal compatibility. It has a capacity of up to 600 pounds.
- Installation: This rack is reasonably easy to install and there are several YouTube videos that give step-by-step instructions for assembly and installation.
Overhead garage storage FAQ
What is overhead garage storage?
Overhead garage storage is a product that will help you organize and streamline your garage so that you can make maximum use of your space.
This product is a ceiling rack where you can store your tools and other accessories.
How to install overhead garage storage system (Quick Guide)
- Step 1 Layout joists and hanger board positions.
- Step 2 Layout the ledger
- Step 3 Find the studs along the line
- Step 4 Position the ledger
- Step 5 Secure the ledger with screws.
- Step 6 Layout the ceiling cleat and then install the ceiling cleat
- Step 7 Cut and install the hanger boards
- Step 9 Install L-angles where cleat and hangers meet.
- Step 10 Install the Joist Hangers and the outer L-angles
- Step 11 Position the front joist and then attach the front joist
- Step 12 After that install the other joists and remaining L-angles
- Step 13 Finally, install the floor
Here’s a video explaining how to install a FLEXIMOUNT system, but it’s similar to other ones:
How much does it cost to install garage ceiling storage on average?
You can expect garage storage systems to cost between $615 and $2,635, with the national average somewhere in the middle (around $1,455).
The extent of your garage storage system—as well as the necessary installation costs you may have to pay a pro—will help to largely determine the price.
On AVERAGE, this is what you’ll pay for garage ceiling storage by size.
Is overhead garage storage safe?
Overhead garage storage is safe, and a great storage solution for your garage.
You need to stay under the maximum weight limits of both the storage rack and your garage ceiling. Attaching the overhead racks or shelves to the walls will add an additional layer of security.
Do all the overhead garage storage options have compatibility with ceiling studs?
Not every overhead garage storage has this compatibility. You must buy one which is compatible with your ceiling or you can buy one that has universal ceiling compatibility.
Is there any risk of scratch and paint-off problems?
To avoid this problem, you can buy powder-coated overhead garage storage. They are resistant to rust, scratches, paint off etc.
How much weight can garage ceiling racks hold?
If you have another floor above your garage, the ceiling\floor structure can usually support up to 40 lbs/SqFt (including the weight of the floor above it).
If you do not have another floor above, the ceiling trusses may only be able to hang a maximum of 10 lbs/SqFt.
Now that you are familiar with the various overhead garage storage systems that are available, and are aware of the features that you should look for when purchasing such a system, you are in a strong position to make the best choice for your specific needs.